Pistol permits are issued by the county Sheriff in the county where you reside. Therefore, if you are a resident of Winston County you will need to contact the Winston County Sheriff to obtain a pistol permit.
To obtain a Pistol permit you must present a completed application along with a check or money order at the Winston County Sheriff's Office to receive a Pistol License.
1. Who may obtain a Pistol License?
Alabama State Code 13A - 11 - 70 et., seq. (1975) provides that the Sheriff of a county may issue qualified or unlimited license to a person residing in the county, and is a suitable person to be licensed. Rick Harris is the Sheriff of Winston County.
2. Who may not obtain a pistol license?
There are many people who cannot obtain a pistol license. Most of these are prohibited because of certain State and Federal Laws. All the Laws contained in this question are contained in the Alabama State Code and in the Gun Control Act of 1968. The people who cannot obtain a pistol license are as follows:
- No person who has been convicted of committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence;
- No person who is a Drug Addict;
- No person who is a habitual drunkard;
- No person convicted of a felony or any degree of theft;
- No person discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions;
- No person who has been adjudged by a court as mentally incompetent;
- No citizen of the United States who has renounced his citizenship;
- No person convicted of the Family Violence Act, even though the charge may be a misdemeanor;
- No person illegally or unlawfully in the United States;
- No person who has been convicted of an offense involving firearms;
- No person who has been convicted of an offense involving explosives;
- No person who is not deemed suitable or proper by the Sheriff’s Office.
3. What are the age requirements to obtain a pistol permit?
It is the policy that a license will not be issued to anyone under the age of 21.
4. May a pistol License be revoked?
Yes, Title 13A-11-75 of the State Law provides that the Sheriff may revoke a license.
5. Is the license valid in other counties?
Yes, Title 13A-11-75 of the State Law says the license is valid within all the counties of the state.
6. How can a pistol license be renewed?
Mail or bring the renewal card or pistol license, along with proper payment, to the Winston County Sheriff's Office
7. What is the cost of a Pistol License?
A pistol permit/license is $15.00.
8. Where do you obtain an application for a Pistol Permit?
Download and complete the Pistol Permit Applicaton.
Take complete application and proper fee to the Winston County Sheriff's Office.
9. Will I be investigated if I make an application to the Winston County Sheriff’s Department for a pistol License?
Yes, we will make an investigation.
We will check to see if you have a previous arrest record.
You must list three references on your application and give their telephone numbers.
We will make any other investigation as necessary.
10. Office Hours are form 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
The phone number is (205) 489-8765
Pistol Permits - Reciprocity
In 2001, the State of Alabama passed legislation recognizing handgun licenses issued by other states provided that state would recognize Alabama's pistol license. This allows residents of the State of Alabama who have a valid pistol permit to carry their weapon in any of these states, and also authorizes persons from these states to carry a pistol in Alabama. View reciprocity states (PDF).
Related Pistol Permitting Information
To view and/or print a listing of the states with which Alabama has reciprocal agreements please select Reciprocal Gun Laws
The Alabama Pistol Permit Reference Guide is a publication of information including which states honor the Alabama pistol permit and the laws about carrying in each state; the states that don't honor the Alabama pistol permit and how to transport your pistol in each state; Alabama laws regarding carrying in Alabama; and the Alabama Lethal Force law.
The Alabama Pistol Permit Reference Guide is available at the Winston County Sheriff's Office for a $6.00 donation.